Coin Flip Definition – Learn What A Coin Flip Is In Poker

A coin flip is a poker situation in which two players have an approximately equal chance of winning the hand. This term alludes that you could decide the winner on a coin flip, as both have a close to fifty-fifty chance of winning. Many poker players call it just a “flip.”

For instance, one of the most common “coin flip” examples in Texas Hold’em poker is when one player has a pocket pair like 55 and the other one has an AKs. In this scenario, the latter player holding AKs has a winning chance of around 48%, while the former has a chance of just under 52% to win the hand. The pocket pair is almost always a slight favorite, but it is still referred to as a coin flip.

All Poker Terms

Scroll to Top